Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Fresh eyes, new perspective.


 I set this picture aside a few years ago because I was struggling to determine the image's concept. It is based on a reference photo taken by equine artist Karen Broemmelsick. Sometimes it is good to set a project aside for a while and review it again with a fresh perspective. 

While the gesture and expression of the horse appealed to me, I realized that what made this composition most interesting was the interplay of contrasts. The image was a mixture of complimentary variations of blues and oranges and warm tones and cool tones. Manipulating that idea is what I hadn't realized when I began this painting two years ago.

It will be scanned this week and available for prints online. It's been over a year since I portrayed equine subjects. It is great to study them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment