Tuesday, October 24, 2017

WIP Red Reins

This work in progress is one I hope to exhibit in the spring. Tentatively titled "Red Reins."  It is oil on canvas and measures 24" x 40." Reference is my own. Finding the subtle value and color changes on the horse's faces is a challenge with this picture. If I don't get the values right, it throws off the picture. To much contrast makes them look unnatural, too little makes their faces look gray and flat. The tack is all high contrast. It is a nice juxtaposition against their faces. Another challenge with this is to make the dark, shiny tack look like it is naturally resting on the horses heads. It is slow going, but starting to come together.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful composition! Your skill in rendering a horse is remarkable! I love your style! Please come visit me at my blog: laughinghorseart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete